Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 April 2014

Week 8 UK Scrappers Card Challenge 2014 - transparency

This card is for week 8 of the 52 card challenge on UK Scrappers - use this sketch. 

Week 8 - sketch prompt
 

I started this card by choosing the base ingredient that I wanted to use.  Being that I am trying to use up some stash that I have been storing for years, I spied some transparencies in various pads - most of which haven't been used at all. 




I could have chosen to use the original journalling circle which was behind the transparency, but it fell short of the lovely circle of flowers, which would have then disappeared into a coloured background.  So I traced around the transparency, cut it out, and then distressed the edges with a mix of Worn Lipstick and Spiced Marmalade. 

I found my staple "Happy Anniversary" stamp which was one of the first things I bought, eleven years ago, and stamped the greeting in "Pumpkin Pie" Stampin' Up ink.  On reflection, the better way of doing this would have been to stamp the greeting first, and then centre the cut out around it.  You can't centre wooden stamps as easily as clear stamps - so that would be my learning point for the future. 

I then adhered the transparency to the background with a series of brads and edged around the transparency in Stardust Stickles - whatever did I do before they were invented? 

I used some of my "lumpy bumpy" flower brads because this card is for my parents - something I would never use when posting a card.  Add the brads, and the 3D foam - and that is some depth!

I changed the placement of my sentiment from the sketch to fit in better with the transparency, but I think it works just as well.  The flowers are true to the sketch, and also hide a join in the patterned paper!  Even though I have hundreds, I do this to eke them out and to use them wherever possible to full purpose. 

Supplies:
K and Co "Mira" Scrap pad
Cloud 9 Design "Bay Blossoms" photo/journal transparency pad
Anita's stamp "Happy Anniversary"
Distress Inks - Spiced Marmalade and Worn Lipstick
Classic Stampin' Up! Pad - "Pumpkin Pie"
Velvet flowers
Various gems and brads
Stardust Stickles

This is card 12 of 30 in the mission to buy new stash - never mind that it has already been bought!  I like setting myself challenges as it gives me some drive and momentum to create.

I am very happy with this card - it is bright, colourful and very happy.  I hope my parents' 51st anniversary is the same!

2 comments:

  1. Really lovely card, love the colours you have used xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gorgeous card for your parents. Lovely bright colours x

    ReplyDelete